Top Social

on Poly Life

Sunday, March 6, 2016
Last Wednesday marks the unofficial end to my three-years poly life! I know I actually ranted a lot about my life in TP, friends, grades and so on. But leaving the compound and knowing that this place, this very place that I step into will no longer be my home as of 3rd March 2016; the feeling is bittersweet. Here are some myths I debunked through the course of this short 3 years. 

"You will never meet true friends"
 You will, several times actually. You can claim that your secondary school friends knew you better and all that rubbish but the truth is, they ARE somebody else's secondary school friends too. It's not that they don't care about you, it's just that in poly, your grades are at stake, you HAVE something to lose. Sometimes some decisions are not made in favour to you. Your secondary school friends would have done the same, if in the same position. In spite of me joking around telling GJJ that I won't remember them after 3rd March, I know I will. They may not be my best friend, but  I know they are true. They played an instrumental role towards my growth as a person, albeit not all lessons are joyful, but I still appreciate it no less. 

"You are in poly because you are stupid" 
It's a social stigma especially for express students because Junior College (JC) should ultimately be their goal. I actually read a tweet of this express kid from my school saying something along the lines of "I think I didn't do very well for my O level papers, let me just browse through some poly courses". ha. ha. ha. I was quite offended because I just wanted to go into a good poly. But in poly, I actually met quite a few people who are actual O levels 3 pointer. Three. As in, all A1s, studying in the exact course as me. What the actual fuck. When asked she merely said "because I don't want to be a small fish in the big pond, but a big fish in the small pond." NOT ONLY THAT, this three years made me realised that there are different kind of smart. Some people are really good at finance, some at art, some at dance etc. Don't let it define you. If everybody is born to fit a single purpose, we can just fall into the factions like divergent. 

"xxx poly is better than xxx poly" 
ha. ha. ha. just choose a school near your house or at the very least have the course that you want? You are going to thank me later when your project meeting ends at 11pm and you have a 8/9am class the next day ya. Also my friend from RP is actually studying in NTU right now and here I am thinking about what kind of job I want to do. It's all about YOU not the school. The school can only help you this far. 

"Class participation 10% nia" 
LOL take back your words, like now, take it back, swallow it down. Unless you are confident to get full marks for your other components, CHERISH THIS STUPID 10%. I never knew the importance of class participation until my last day in poly when my tutor announce that one of the students actually failed his 50% course work, EVEN when he passed the class test and mid sems'. I think the teacher gave him a 0-2% out of 10%.  It came as a shock, and I felt very sorry for him, even though I am not necessary fond of his existence. You know... last year liao just let him pass??? Yeah, guys class part is important. Ask questions, answer them, make sure that you teacher recognise you when he sees you at the bus-stop. 

At the end of the day, we are the monsters we say we hate. 

To those that are in polytechnics right now, cherish it, and have self-awareness. Act don't react. Everybody wants the best for themselves, including you. It is not as bad as everybody says it to be. Be a great person, love people, and study smart. 

In bad times, remember that it is all a rite of passage. I once asked my bf (who was an army instructor for his camp) why they tekan the recruits extra hard before and during hell week. And he told me that they have to do all this, so they have great stories to tell and great bonds to share. It will be more memorable to look back at the hardships to see how much they've grown. It kinda make sense to me so yeah... hold that closeeeee to your heart.  


I just realised I wrote a chunk of irrelevant chatter, but I hope somebody will comfort in this knowing that we are all going through it together. Okie, bye. C.t.